Sunday, October 4, 2009

History of Cooking

The history of cooking is much shorter. My Dad liked to cook on the weekends. Mom cooked because she had to. Mom was a great cook but I must say I don't think it was something she got much enjoyment from. Cooking for 8 (eight) people 7 days a week has to be taxing. I love to cook but it would lose its luster if I HAD to do it.

Dad would make different things and ask for help to chop, clean, etc. I loved helping in the kitchen when Dad was cooking. As I think back I realize Mom was home cooking while we (the kids) were at school, practice or just out running around the neighbohood. Dad cooked on the weekends when things were more relaxed.

I learned my way around the kitchen because I like to eat. In high school I played sports year round and had an appetite typical of any groing 14, 15, 16, 17 year old boy. The kitchen became familiar. Learn how to make something then adapt it to how you want it to taste....that's cooking! Cooking is mechanical and creative all in one. It's like being a carpenter. You get to add your own touch to whatever you make.

My wife is responsible for my success in being more creative. She praises my efforts and keeps me moving forward.

Jay says ..........more later........

No comments:

Post a Comment