Wednesday, September 23, 2009

More bike stuff

Once I saw the possibilities of a bicycle I was hooked. I saw bikes with gears!!! man I thought I could really make something like that go. So now I'm dreaming of 10 speeds, drop bars, shifters, hand brakes, wow! I had no idea what real bicycles were all about.

Around this time, I'm guessing 1969-70, (I'm 12-13 years old) a bicycle shop opened within riding distance of my house. I saw bikes with tiny little gear clusters??? skinny seats, I knew I would have one sooner or later. They were just plain exciting. Getting one would be tough. I am the oldest of 7 kids, we never went without but that much $$ for a bicycle was not even possible. I would like to say I got a paper route or started doing something extraordinary to earn $$$$ to buy a real bicycle, but I did not. It was back to JC Pennies to see what might be available. Sure enough there was bike called Itoh. Made in Japan, looked awesome, too much $$.
I made sure Mom and Dad knew all the details and reasons why I needed this real bicycle. My birthday was nearing, all I wanted was the Perfect Shade Of Yellow Japanese Itoh 10 Speed Bike from JC Pennies. What I got was a white JC Pennies 10 speed bike. I was thrilled. Within the week I completely disassembled the bicycle. I wanted to know how everthing worked. I found out. It was a great succcess. I only messed up one, in my mind, very minor piece. The bike shop needed to order the part, so I went home and waited. Once the part came in and I fixed my bike I was ready to go. I carried all the tools around in a canvas shoulder bag so I could fix anything I might have trouble with.

I rode the White JC Penny Bicycle until around 1973. There are more bike stories for another time. Rides to places my parents didn't know about, rides to play basketball, rides to places just to ride!!

Once I turned 16 I left my bike behind for a long time.

VERY BIG BICYCLE GAP HERE. Jay says, More later....................

No comments:

Post a Comment